Pages

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Bullies

Bullying has become such an epidemic. Nephi had a school counselor come to his class the other day and talk about it and told a stories about kids who suffer and want to as bad as drop out of school because things get so bad for me.

This makes me sick. How do we prepare our kids to go through something like this? It seems so minor because of the misconception of "I don't care what people think of me" attitudes. You do care. Trust me.

Bullying comes in different forms. When I was little it was in the form of cliques, name calling, physical hitting (via sibling rivalries), gossiping, demeaning others, spreading rumors or lying,...wait, wait...this all still happens to adults. We are not exempt from bullying.

This has been on my mind because I have noticed some bullying in my personal life. It still comes in those forms, but it just isn't as obvious. You think that we would all be adults and grow up but apparently that isn't the case.

This quote came to mind as I was trying to get myself out of this funk I have been in all week:




Why do we become bullies?

Sources: Anger, insecurities, physical pain, emotional weaknesses, impulsiveness, validation, attention, self-righteous, etc.

Distribution Channels: Texting, Facebook, Blogging, Gossiping, Face-to-Face, etc.

Now, I am not an expert, but I know I have been a bully at times and I have definitely been bullied myself. I am committing to myself to never be a bully again and to always believe in myself, not what others say about me.








                              Source: ginger-ella.tumblr.com via Mallory on Pinterest



Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Uhh is this because I yelled at people for saying I'm anorexic hahaha ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i saw on the news a girl in high school that..um....decided to end her life because she was being bullied by an ex boyfriend. I cried after seeing it on the news. Its so sad. I dont know either how to prepare our children for this. hopefully by instilling positivity in them they can find those kinds of friends, of how they are a friend to others? I dont know. thats cool someone came and talked in Nephis class about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very big into empowering people and teaching kids not to be bystanders. I where a bracelet every day that say "Stand up to bullying" Check out this website: bullying.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had the same feelings lately. I was watching Ellen a while ago and there was a family on that had a son with disabilities and kids bullied him all his life so finally when he was in high school he committed suicide. It was so heart breaking because his parents said that they thought if they loved him enough, that he would be okay, but they didn't realize the power of peers. I was SOBBING because I've always had that mentality, that if I love my kids enough then that would be enough, but it scares me to death that maybe it won't. I just hope I can teach my kids to be the kid that stands up for others, and be a friend to everyone even if they're different. Scary times to be raising kids!

    ReplyDelete