Pages

Sunday, January 13, 2013

If I can do it, YOU can do it!

**This is a long post.**

Over the past 6 months, I have been working hard to lose weight. In 2011 I gained a lot of unexpected weight. It was my last 2 semesters of college with 19 credits each semester, working 20-30 hours, family stress, and I was newly married. We spent a lot of time trying to find ways to cope with our new lifestyle and ended up avoiding the gym, camping out in the library, and "rewarding" ourselves with a little too much frozen yogurt. These are not excuses, this was reality. It was no one's fault but myself but after I graduated, I was determined to change.

Graduation came, my new "big girl job" started and life didn't get easier. 2012 was full of surprises and unfortunately  I gained more in the first few months. I was eating better, working out more, but not seeing results. Crisis after crisis happened and emotionally, I was tired. I needed HELP. I have lost weight on my own several times. Not just like 10lbs, but big numbers like 20-30lbs. Losing weight was not foreign to me.

In fact, as I reflect upon it, I feel like the majority of my life I have been on a diet. In 9th grade my Dad challenged us to not eat sugar for a year and he would pay us $1,000. I did it and within my first 3 months I dropped 30lbs. It wasn't until the summer after my sophomore year that I started gaining it back...then I went on another extreme diet (Jenny Craig) and lost another 30lbs. My softball and volleyball coaches were worried about how "thin" I was and my Mom thought I was showing signs of an eating disorder because she didn't see me eat as much (really I was just hanging out with my friends a lot more).

Anyway, now I am older (25) and terrified of the changes I am seeing happening to me physically and emotionally. I couldn't get the weight off fast enough and I needed help. I tried cutting sugar, cutting carbs, eating 5 small meals, not eating after 8 pm, doing a cleanse, drinking protein shakes--I tried it all. AND NOTHING. Ugh. It was embarrassing  I noticed, and I know people noticed. I was scared because I could just get on a treadmill and bust out 3 miles, but my body was too heavy to recover. I started having back problems even. Yikes.

So, I came to the realization that I couldn't do it on my own. I needed help, so I got help. I joined a program in July that provided all my meals, a meal plan and a health coach. Since then, I have lost 32 pounds. Here is a picture of me in July (left), and then now.


The picture of me in July (left) is a terrible picture. I really don't have a lot of full body shots of me because of course I think I look fat and it also makes me feel really awkward to ask someone to take a picture of me by myself, but that is what I looked like. Nephi can see a difference but honestly I haven't had too many people mention it to me. It's discouraging that certain people don't say anything but I can't depend on them to make me happy. Big shout out to my father-in-law for ALWAYS making me feel great when he would see me. It means a lot, Boyd. Thanks!


I also chopped 13+ inches off my hair! I have been wanting to do it since after we got married but always felt too fat to pull it off. Now I have a little more confidence and I am hoping it will help remind me that I can't put the weight back on! I LOVE my cut. I can make it shorter or longer, it curls great, and it's all ONE color--my natural color. It's been a while since I have had that. Ha!

The program has been a huge blessing and support. I haven't shared it with many people because again, I was embarrassed that I couldn't do it on my own. But, the results are in and I feel great and I can't be embarrassed any more because it is all uphill from here!

I struggled on the program in the beginning BIG time. I loved that it was easy, the food isn't that bad, and I still got to eat 1 normal meal a day. But, you literally cannot cheat and I did. I thought having a bite and lick here or there was fine. It's not fine. This is a lifestyle change, not just a temporary diet. I needed to hit the books, change my habits, and create my future.

Losing 32lbs was hard, but most people do it a lot faster than me. But, the nice thing is, those are solid pounds. Occasionally I will fluctuate, but most of the time when I drop a pound, I don't see it on the scale again and it feels so good! I won't share any more details about the program but if you are interested, reach out to me and I can get you more information. :)

So this is one of my resolutions! I am confronting my fears and sharing this with everyone, and I am going to stay accountable. I've been feeling brave because we have been watching the Biggest Loser and it's totally inspired me to suck it up and let it out.

I still have another 25 to go to get to my goal but I will get there! Keep me accountable!




Photobucket

8 comments:

  1. You look so good!!! I've been noticing a TON over the last while but wasn't sure if it was rude to say anything? It's always a touchy subject with certain people and I didn't want to say the wrong thing haha! AND, of course, love the hair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that last pictures.....so cute and so revealing--in a GOOD way. I'm really proud of ALL your efforts. Mental change is hard. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!!! I know the struggle that comes with weight first hand and I know the hard work you have put in. You look stunning and continue the lifelong work :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look great!!!!! Love it! What is the program? I want to make a change, but I'm super busy too...would love it if someone would provide the meals and coach me along!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mallory! I am loving all these blog posts and the update. A month ago, after we watched A Christmas Story, Stephen and I said to each other that you looked good, real good, and it seemed you had been losing weight. I'm sorry that the conversation happened in between us and the compliment didn't make it to you. Go ahead and ask Stephen if you want confirmation ;) You do look great. You look slammin' in that red striped dress! Your hair cut is SO flattering. I am proud of you and I am glad you are proud of yourself! Maybe we should do a 5 or 10K together this spring or something? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mallory you really do look amazing! I commend you for your courage to share your experience with the rest of us. You really are so inspiring. And I love that red dress! Last year was my 'big year' for physical changes- I finally got where I wanted to be.. and then I got pregnant. But I know if I've done it once, I can do it again. Keep up the hard work- maintaining a healthy lifestyle is so hard and can be mentally exhausting, but it's so worth it in the end. I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You will help many with your example, your hair looks better than ever, and don't let satan put you down whatever weight you are, you are beautiful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job! I wish I had your motivation! I know how hard it is and you look great!

    ReplyDelete