Pages

Sunday, December 9, 2012

A Recipe Post: Peppermint Macaroons

I am not a baker--I'd rather cook. Mostly because baking is dangerous (calories, carbs, and high maintenance baking times/measurements) but Christmas baking is too fun to pass up. 

For our ward party I made Peppermint Macaroons. We had homemade coconut macaroons at our wedding and I will never forget getting to the hotel with the yummy goody basket my sisters made us with the food from the wedding and eating that macaroon in bed. Pretty sure I melted right there and then. They have been on my radar ever since.

But doesn't the word macaroon intimidate you? Well, don't let it. It was too easy. My co-worker gave me this recipe and it was a huge success!

Peppermint Macaroons
(Makes about 2-3 dozen.)
**I made my notes and adjustments in red.**

2 egg whites (at room temperature) I would add another egg white to help it set up better.
1/2 tsp salt
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 (14-ounce) packages shredded sweetened coconut This is a lot of coconut. Use a big bowl to fold it in so the wet mixture gets thoroughly mixed.
1 cup white-chocolate morsels I only had about a 1/4 cup left and wish I had more! They were the perfect addition.
1/2 cup crushed peppermints The chunks will melt and stick to the parchment paper depending on placement so if your not a big fan, leave out or use flavoring instead of actual peppermint. I loved it.

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. I don't have parchment paper so I used wax (don't know how different they are) but it stuck to the paper! Boo! So the second batch I used my cookie liner (which is the best purchase you cookie makers will ever purchase) and they were perfect. I am going to buy another one this week so I can put more batches in the oven at one time.

Mix egg whites and salt until foamy (2 min.). Mix in sweetened condensed milk and vanilla. Fold in coconut, chocolate chips, and crushed peppermint.


Use spring ice cream scoop to shape dough onto pan. Bake for 20 minutes, let them cool on pan for 10 minutes, then move to  wire racks. Make sure they are small and round. You can't have the edges stick out because they down flatten or rise, they stay the same and you know they are done when they start to brown.




They turned out great! I took a whole plate to our ward Christmas party and put the candy dish in the middle because I couldn't fill the platter and it was completely wiped clean, candy and all by the time we left! I highly recommend trying it for those coconut lovers.




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment