Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Boot Camp

When I started in my new department at work, the girls on my team (actually, we are all girls--it's crazy) had just signed up for Boot Camp. We have a gym at work that I joined and if you go twice a week, it's free! Anyway, Boot Camp costs a little extra but it's only a month and it was twice a week. The first week we went, they had us measured, weighed, and had us run a timed mile. I did okay on my mile but definitely wanted to improve but my measurements. Oh man. What a wake up call!

A little background...

Over the past year and a half I have gained a lot of weight...this is hard to admit. But, my last 2 semesters of school being newly married, working 30 hrs. and taking 17-19 credits kicked my butt. We didn't go to the gym often and went out to ice cream waaaaay too much. And, I am not one of those girls that can just eat whatever and burn it naturally --no way. I look at food and gain weight. This is no excuse, it was all my fault, but the reality was that it wasn't a priority. {There is my confession}

So I set New Year resolutions and have failed so far, but I still like that I set them. My activity and diet has increased immensely and I haven't gained, but just maintained. I recently lost 10 lbs (since June) but I couldn't really tell. Things fit fine, but I didn't go down a size, and I just continued diet and exercise. I have set a lot of goals and I'm going down in weight gradually but it's very, very slow and very, very frustrating.

Back to my story....

I was excited for boot camp because I knew it would be a physical challenge. It wasn't suppose to be competitive and we were suppose to do it as a group but in the end, all the girls bailed except for me and another girl. We challenged each other and on our off days would work out together and it was great! I learned a lot of new exercises and dusted the dust off my inner athlete and have LOVED working out!

In a months time, I saw GREAT results...


  • Original Mile: 10:10 New Mile: 9:25
  • Lost an additional 7lbs
  • Lost 3 inches in my waist
  • Lost 1/2 inch in my arms
  • Lost 1% body fat
  • Lost NOTHING in my legs (This was no surprised. Those are a project.)
Pretty great, huh? I wish my weight loss was more but I was very happy with the results. AND, in addition to the boot camp, the President of the company issued a challenge of no sugar, soda or meals over 600 calories and 5 days of exercise. You can have 1 free day but I don't really do the free day so that has helped a lot. 

I have cut my carbs, majorly, and I don't have desserts (well, sugar-free fudgesicle's) and then I eat the majority of my carbs and heavy foods early in the day and have a really lite dinner. It's been hard, but I have been consistent and I am starting to feel a change and it is awesome! 

I am still planning on continuing 3 days of heavy circuit training and then cardio on the other days (5-6 days/week). I hate at home work outs so I just go to the company gym or I have a membership at another gym. I get a lot of my workouts from my Pinterest. Yes, I am one of those people! I pin the workouts and I ACTUALLY do them. I plan out my workouts before I go to the gym and they are really, really great. Check out my fitness board if you are interested. 

Well, it just feels good to get it out there and to be even more accountable. The end.

Oh, and a little humor for those of you who are really skinny and don't have to work out and don't understand this post at all...












Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. haha those pictures made me laugh! hilarious! I wish i had someone to work out with! :( You are awesome, good job!!!! keep it up woman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's wonderful how motivated and consistent you are--you are motivating me to get in a better groove of being consistent. Love the pictures! It's always easier for me to work out with a partner (it holds me more accountable) Way to go Mal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've lied to the DMV before. If Caitlin or your colleague ever can't accompany you, I'd LOVE to. Or we could Zumba with Caitlin sometime soon :) I noticed you looked thinner when we went bowling. I think your womanly curves are beautiful, and I'm completely serious.

    ReplyDelete