Pages

Sunday, October 11, 2015

Welcome to Denver

We made it to Denver!

Loading up and leaving Idaho Falls was a cinch, but unloading was another story. Unfortunately, the ward we moved into didn't show to help us move even though we asked for help. I had major anxiety over this happening so thanks to that - I hired movers. The best $250 we spent the whole trip! We had 3 big guys all to ourselves for 2 hours. We live on the 3rd floor so it was a task but they were so nice and helpful and we couldn't have done it without their help.

We also couldn't have done it without my Mom. My brain was so fogged the last week before we moved with handling all the logistics of the move, wrapping up things at work, trying to manage Marlo, and fitting in all the family activities. My Mom literally picked me up and carried me through this move. We left our place sparkling clean thanks to her and Caitlin and Zach. And of course my sweetest sister-in-law Angie who was so helpful and always willing and able to watch Marlo. She has a good intuition for service and she can read me really well so she knew when to step in at the most perfect times. So grateful for Angie!

Finding a place to live in Denver was HARD but I think we found the perfect place for us. Through divine intervention, we found someone through a friend of a friend and took over their contract. We didn't have to pay the deposit, we were grandfathered in at a lower price (for now), and it's in a great location and ward. It's in a gated community with pools, a gym with fitness classes, a park, a 1.5 mile walking path AROUND a lake - it's a beautiful neighborhood! With all of these amenities included the rent doesn't feel like the biggest blow but it's definitely higher than we ever planned to pay. Also - it doesn't hurt that there is a Costco, Target, and Sprouts within 1 mile of us. ;)

EXHAUSTED.

IKEA trip! Such a good baby through this whole move. 



Here are a few "before" pictures of our place. "After" pictures will eventually be posted.

Love the living room and the vaulted ceilings. One of the perks (maybe only perk?) of living on the 3rd floor. 

This kitchen is much smaller than our other one, but a little more cabinet space which is nice. It's really easy to make it dirty and really easy to make it clean. Also, our last kitchen was tucked behind a wall so I didn't have to have the dishes done and now I kinda do. It's a good thing because I have been pretty good at making sure the kitchen is clean each night. 

We were debating on whether to get a kitchen table or not and we ended up getting one. I don't love it, but I was so panicked to have one because Marlo was struggling with her eating routine and I thought it would help (it has). We paid $10 for a tall one at the Goodwill and we will probably end up getting a different one eventually but it works for now! 

PS - Look at all those windows - the natural light in here is so amazing! It's one of my favorite things. 

I didn't get a picture of Marlo's room but in the picture, on the right, is a den which is Marlo's room. We put up a curtain to go across the entry way (thank you IKEA) and I got creative in how to store her clothes and such. It's not ideal, but it's cheaper than getting a 2 bedroom!


Nephi had his white coat ceremony and it was so fun to be part of it. His class is so fun - all girls except for him and 1 other guy. The professors and everyone have been so warm and welcoming. Since Creighton is a Catholic school, referencing God is natural and I love that. I even spoke to the lady that interviewed him and said, "Oh, you're the lady we were praying for!" and she smiled and said, "thank you - I needed the prayers!" Nephi is the only member of the LDS church in his class, no surprise, so it's kind of a cool opportunity for us to share some of what we believe. Like I said, his class is so wonderful and they all get along really well.




So far, we LOVE Denver. The people here are so nice. And I truly mean that. Everywhere we go people are ooo'ing and awe'ing over Marlo. In Idaho Falls you don't get that because everyone is just so concerned with their own babies. I think people here are shocked that we go out with a baby because we always get stares!

Although the ward didn't help us move in (pretty transient area) everyone has been very welcoming. We went to the zoo with some mommy's this week and did a craft day. In my 3 years in Idaho Falls, I never had any women invite me to do anything like this with them. It is different in demographics a little though - there are a lot of students in our area and then a lot of old people. So far, I feel like we are going to make some great friends here and that is a huge blessing and something I have been praying for daily.

Heavenly Father is so good to us. Although I struggled the first few weeks here, I am feeling all the blessings of this move including Nephi being SO happy with his schooling. The load is starting to get heavier but he is being so good and disciplined and we are so proud of him! Marlo is also settling in well after having a little relapse in eating and naps - I think we are back on track, knock on wood!


No comments:

Post a Comment